The Urban Council in Hikkaduwa is responsible for collecting the garbage. As the situation is now (March 2018) it is working out OK in our area, at least much better than many other parts of Sri Lanka. Still it is not perfect, and we are hoping the service will improve.
In the main road - Galle Road - garbage is collected every morning except full moon days and public holidays.
Pinkanda Road: Tuesdays and Fridays.
Thiranagama to Pinkanda Road: Tuesday and Saturday
The situation on other roads in the area is less clear. Please give us input if you have more details.
- Make sure you put your bins and containers out in the street from 07:00 in the morning to make sure it will be collected.
- No need to use new, fancy bins (they might be stolen from the street).
- The paper, plastic and glass bottles can be delivered in open bins. No need to wrap it in plastic.
- The garbage collectors seperate plastic, paper and glass on the truck.
- The Urban Council sells plastic, paper and glass to large recycling companies in Colombo. These companies collect from Hikkaduwa once a week.
- The garbage collection service is free. However, it is common practice for residents to make a small payment to the collectors. If you are living a bit off the main road, a small monthly payment, will help to get the garbage collected (200 LKR). Especially before New Year you should give a small tip. After all, these people are doing a very important job here in Hikkaduwa.
BATTERIES can be delivered to the Post Office in Hikkaduwa!
Glass bottles (beer, soft drinks etc) can be returned to the shop where you bought them. You will get the deposit you paid back.
If you live in the Thalpe, Galle and Unawatuna area, please contact THALPE RECYCLING CENTRE for information on their recycling services.
Get more ideas from the Facebook group: Sri Lanka Cleaning and Recycling Program.